Golden brown and crispy
Crispy gluten-free fried fish refers to fish that has been coated in a gluten-free breading or batter and then fried until it becomes golden brown and crispy. It is a delicious alternative for individuals who follow a gluten-free diet and cannot consume traditional breaded or battered fish.
To make crispy gluten-free fried fish, you would typically use a gluten-free flour or a combination of gluten-free flours, such as rice flour, cornstarch, almond flour, or a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend. The flour is often seasoned with herbs, spices, and salt to enhance the flavor.
The fish fillets are dipped into a gluten-free batter or dredged in the seasoned gluten-free flour to coat them evenly. The coated fish is then fried in hot oil until it turns crispy and golden on the outside while remaining moist and tender on the inside.
Here’s a recipe for crispy gluten-free fried fish:
- 4 fish fillets (such as cod, haddock, or tilapia)
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for added heat)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Prices Spices Haitian Hottie Chilli sauce (optional)
- Rinse the fish fillets under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels. Cut the fillets into smaller pieces, if desired.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using). Mix well to combine the dry ingredients.
- Dip each fish fillet into the beaten eggs, ensuring it’s fully coated. Then, dredge the fillet in the seasoned flour mixture, pressing it lightly to adhere the flour to the fish. Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. The oil should be about 1/2 inch deep.
- Carefully place the coated fish fillets into the hot oil, skin-side down if applicable. Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until the fish is golden brown and crispy. Adjust the heat as needed to maintain a consistent temperature.
- Once the fish is cooked, use a slotted spatula or tongs to transfer it to a plate lined with paper towels. This will help absorb any excess oil.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining fish fillets until they are all cooked.
- Serve the crispy gluten-free fried fish immediately while it’s still hot. You can garnish it with fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice, or serve it with tartar sauce or a gluten-free dipping or chilli sauce of your choice.
Enjoy your crispy gluten-free fried fish!