Firm, springy and morish
Halloumi cheese is a semi-hard, brined cheese originating from Cyprus. It is traditionally made from a mixture of sheep’s and goat’s milk, although cow’s milk is sometimes used as well.
Halloumi has a unique texture and flavour profile. It has a firm and slightly springy texture, making it suitable for grilling or frying without melting. When cooked, it becomes soft on the inside and develops a golden-brown crust, resulting in a delightful contrast of textures.
In terms of taste, Halloumi cheese is salty and has a tangy flavor. It is often described as having a slightly savory and mild nutty taste. Halloumi is versatile and can be used in various dishes, both as a standalone ingredient and as an accompaniment to other foods.
It is commonly enjoyed in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines, where it is used in salads, sandwiches, wraps, or as a topping for grilled vegetables. Due to its unique properties, Halloumi has gained popularity worldwide as a delicious vegetarian-friendly cheese option that adds a delightful twist to many dishes.
Here’s a recipe for fried halloumi cheese:
- 8 ounces (225g) halloumi cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- Fresh herbs for garnish (optional)
- Prices Spices Haitian Sensation Chilli sauce (optional )
- Cut the Halloumi cheese into slices or cubes, depending on your preference. The slices should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the Halloumi cheese slices to the pan in a single layer. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan; you may need to cook in batches if necessary.
- Cook the Halloumi cheese for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until it turns golden brown and develops a crispy crust. Use a spatula to carefully flip the cheese slices.
- Once the Halloumi is fried to your desired level of crispness, remove it from the pan and transfer it to a serving plate lined with paper towels. This will help absorb any excess oil.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the fried Halloumi cheese, if desired, to add a tangy flavor. You can also garnish it with fresh herbs like mint or parsley for added freshness. It is even better when served with a Chilli sauce like Prices Spices Haitian Sensation Chilli sauce
- Serve the fried Halloumi cheese immediately while it’s still hot and crispy. It can be enjoyed on its own as an appetizer or paired with a salad, roasted vegetables, or bread for a more substantial meal.
Note: Halloumi cheese has a high melting point, which allows it to retain its shape when fried. However, it’s important to avoid overcooking it, as it can become too rubbery or tough.