Crispy, juicy and tender
Crispy fried chicken is a popular dish where chicken is coated in a seasoned breading or batter and deep-fried until it becomes golden brown and crispy on the outside while remaining juicy and tender on the inside. It is known for its irresistible crunchy texture and savoury flavour.
The process typically involves marinating the chicken in a buttermilk mixture or seasoned brine to enhance its flavour and tenderness. The chicken is then coated in a mixture of flour and spices, such as salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and herbs. The coated chicken is deep-fried in hot oil until it reaches a crispy and golden brown exterior.
Crispy fried chicken is often served as a main course and can be enjoyed on its own or paired with various side dishes like mashed potatoes, coleslaw, biscuits, or cornbread. When served with our Hawaiian pepper water Chilli seasoning with its great mild Chillies, ginger, garlic, tamarind, spices, and vinegar flavour, it is taken to a new level of culinary bliss
Recipe for Crispy chicken
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (such as drumsticks and thighs)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Chilli Workshop Hawaiian Pepper Water seasoning
- In a large bowl, pour the buttermilk over the chicken pieces, making sure they are fully submerged. Cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate in the buttermilk for at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. This step helps to tenderize the chicken and adds flavour.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, dried thyme, and dried oregano. Mix well to create the seasoned flour mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat. The oil should be about 1 inch deep.
- Remove a piece of chicken from the buttermilk, allowing any excess liquid to drip off. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour mixture, making sure it’s coated evenly. Shake off any excess flour.
- Carefully place the coated chicken piece into the hot oil, skin-side down. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces, but avoid overcrowding the pan. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Fry the chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until the skin is golden brown and crispy and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Adjust the heat if needed to maintain a consistent temperature.
- Once the chicken is cooked, use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer it to a plate lined with paper towels. This will help absorb any excess oil.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining chicken pieces until they are all cooked.
- Allow the fried chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving to let the juices redistribute.
- Serve the crispy fried chicken hot, either as a main dish or with your favourite side dishes.
Enjoy your crispy fried chicken!
Buy Hawaiian Pepper Water seasoning from our web store.